In the early nineteenth century, in Belém, near the Monastery of Jeronimos, labored one refining cane sugar associated with a small place of varied stores.
As a result of the Liberal Revolution occurred in 1820, are in 1834 closed all monasteries in Portugal, expelling clergy and workers.
In an attempt to survive, the Monastery someone puts for sale that store some sweet pastries, quickly called “Pastéis de Belém. ”
At the time, the zone of Belém was from the city of Lisbon and the route was ensured by steamers. However, the magnificence of the Jeronimos Monastery and Belem Tower, attracted visitors who soon got used to the taste delicious pastries originating from the Monastery.
In 1837, start-up manufacturing of the “Pastel de Belém” in facilities attached to refining, according to the ancient “secretrecipe”, originating from the convent. Transmitted exclusively known by the masters confectioners who make them by hand, in “Workshop Secret. “This recipe remains the same until the present day.
In fact, the only true factory “Pastel de Belém” can, through a judicious choice of ingredients, provide today taste of the old Portuguese sweets.